• "How much is too much anal sex?"

Question:

Is it dangerous to have regular anal sex? I’m with the same partner so I’m not concerned about STDs just physical damage.

Answer:

Here’s the good news: having anal regularly won’t make you ‘loose’ or lead to you being unable to control your bowel movements. (It could, however make you more inclined to break wind for a few hours afterward because the sphincter and rectum are stretched during anal and air can be introduced, but that’s another story!). But - and its an important but - this is if you are having anal sex safely and sensibly.

The lining of the anus is delicate: you need to be using a good quality, heavy duty anal lube and reapply regularly. You need to be gentle. You need to stop if it really starts to hurt. If it’s male/female anal, you need to wash his penis or any toys or fingers used during anal play before going anywhere near her vagina to avoid transferring bacteria. If you do develop a tear in the lining of the anus, don’t have anal sex until it’s fully healed. If it doesn’t heal and gets worse, it may have developed into a ‘fissure’: a larger tear or crack. If this happens, you must see a doctor. It won’t heal on its own. Anal sex may also make hemorrhoids worse if you have them.

Other than that, you’re fine but bear in mind that - unlike the vagina - the rectum is built to have things coming out of it, rather than inserted into it. It copes pretty well, under the circumstances, but It’s not designed for that purpose and for that reason, personally, I wouldn’t be at it every single day of the year.

The Sex Doctor - Fix your love life fast!

• TeeDawg: April 12, 2015 05:27
      Great, frank. honest advice.
    • coker: January 29, 2016 14:01
      A tear could lead to a fissure but I think it is also possible it could also lead to peritonitis which if not treated promptly could be fatal. It is my understanding that the sphincter muscle could over time be weakened leading to incontinence and that it is also possible to tear the sphincter muscle. I experimented with anal play (butt plug) but perhaps wasn't relaxed enough maybe which led to me having to see a doctor just in case. The doctor told me NOT to experiment this way again.
    • mickimick: November 20, 2016 19:45
      There are thousands of nerve endings in my anus and rectum (yours too!) as well as a secondary sphincter muscle which dives me rectum into two parts (yours as well). Our bodies adapt to anal sex easily and it rewards me when i have anal. All those nerves...
    • Leila: February 08, 2017 16:44
      There's a great book called 'Anal pleasure and Anal health' by Jack Morin that I would really recommend. It really helped with similar concerns I had. Remember people have been having anal sex for thousands of years with no problems :)
    • jayne: January 03, 2018 16:06
      partner and i are overweight any tips on positions
    • William: January 03, 2018 18:49
      My wife is more experienced in this area than me and did it a couple of times recently, relying on 'natural lube' from normal penetration to begin with. She has complained since that this has caused discomfort since and sometimes piles when going to the toilet. Have promised to not get carried away in the moment again and use lube / condoms, but equally don't want the need to pre-agree anal will be included to be a passion killer or cause friction between us. (pun unintended). Any advice or experiences to share?. Want to move onto pegging too, and our 1st try at that was a little difficult as I could not relax sufficiently.