Sex Advice: What to do if you can't stop fantasising about someone you shouldn't
Here are some practical tips to help you avoid taking the fantasy any further...
- Try dismissing it. Most erotic adventures we play in our heads are harmless and make for great masturbation fantasies. Are you worrying unnecessarily?
- If you feel it’s reached an unhealthy level of frequency or making you feel uncomfortable around the person you’re fantasizing about, give your fantasy a negative ending.
- Continue to replay the fantasy but end it differently each time - always badly: your partner catches you, they say something horrid, their partner finds out.
- The ending that you dislike the most, repeat the most. (It’s usually the ‘I get found out and lose my partner/kids/dog/laptop” one.)
- Continually remind yourself that reality sex rarely lives up the fantasy so you won’t be tempted to follow through.